Friday, April 01, 2005

It's in the stars.

It's been a really really long time since I hit the 'Create post ' button.
I've always been very amused with astrology. I have had late night discussion with friends, cousins and family and have, most of the time, totally stripped it of any credibility. Couples knotted in marraige after heavy horoscope matching are resorting to things from wife-beating to mutual seperation .Those predicted with dire consequences if they married are living quite happily.
And when we ask the astrologers for an explanation when a whole family dies, they tell us something like the planets are all aligned in one row, indicating catastrophe - but that of course cannot be predicted by the horoscope. What's the whole point if you cant predict something as disastrous as that!
To add to that there is the constant shift of residences by the various planets, whose effect you have to nullify by a few million poojas and yagnas.

More than a year back, my mother did what is a routine yearly thing for most families. The horoscopes all came out and took a journey to the astrologer. The guy took one look at mine and declared that I would study. My mom gently interrupted him to tell him that I am working. He shut her up, saying that there are no working stars for me now and I would only study further. There was simply no doubt about it.
That night, with my mom on the fone, I had a hearty laugh. I was working with a software firm and didnt have any plans of moving out.

A few months later, I quit my job and moved to my hometown. I has simply hated my job and realised I was going nowhere with it. I couldve done that job after standard 10. I quit with plans of helping my dad in the business and moving on from there. On the way I took some classes for MBA entrance exams.

Two days back, the XLRI website told me that I'm selected for their PMIR course. It's a premier institute and I'm looking forward to going there in June. This afternoon the topic of astrology came up and my mom reminded me of the astrologer. My face contorted into a hundred expressions. I didnt want to give in to the prediction but thinking of it now, for the first time after more than a year, it seemed incredible that he could predict such a thing. After all, it was something even I had no inkling of.

I still havent made up my mind about astrology. It has never ceased to amuse and entertain me.
But do I start believing it? Should I join the journey next time? Where would I draw the line?
********************************************
Is it my imagination or do i hear someone laughing at me?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So you made it into XLRI? that's great. So sure mottai thaan.

Sachin Dev T said...

Hey Congrats.Thot u were more cut out for Marketing than HR ;-)

Meera said...

well i dunno whether this was a prediction that came true or not..
after all, even though u hated the job u cud have still gone on and on... so u were the one who held the key.. :))
mebbe this proves that i don't beleive in astrology.. not a teeny-weeny bit!!!!

Mahadevan said...

Congratulations!

Just Me said...

There're a couple of ways to validate:
*Apply for another job.
You'll most probably not make it.

*If you do, they'll most probably put you in some intensive study program.

*Don't join XLRI. And see what happens.

Don't take me seriously. :-)

Ambrish Bajaj said...

I too still don't know if its in the stars or the planets. But once before I was appearing for my CAT in 2002, I had a chance to get free consultancy from the renowed Bejan Daruwala. Well, the normal charge for personal consultancy is Rs. 10,000 above. Anyways...

A girl from my office went to see him for 5 minutes. She was also preparing for MBA exams. Bejan told her that she be better trying for something more creative like advertising etc. MBA wasn't in her stars. Hearing this, I didn't have the courage to go to him for any advice. Afterall, CAT was 2 weeks ahead.

Anyway I didn't clear CAT that year. I came to XLRI 2 years later. Hence I still don't have a clear opinion about astrologers.

But a lot of bosses in the corporate world take astrolgers' help. I guess beyond a point, the confidence of making a decision (especially decisons in highly uncertain times) purely through analytical means become becomes insufficient. That's why this reliance on something that's very non-analytical and based on unknown methodology (unknown alteast to the person who is seeking astrologer's help).

ciao

[ 'b u s p a s s' ] said...

astrology IMO is commonsense mixed with equal proportions of imagination. (add salt to taste)

i would only surprised if an astrologer comes to me and says "you shall join 1st standard B section at DAV in 2 years" or "board discovery next thursday"

i dont believe in it, but i do read/listen to it, afterall who doesnt want soothing things like "you will feel happy with what you have done today", with un cool things filtered out.